Re: tv watching apps

On Thu, Nov 07, 2013 at 09:14:32PM -0500, Brad Alexander wrote:
>    I have a hauppague (bt878) card in my wife's machine. It is connected to
>    cable, and she uses tvtime to watch tv in a window on her computer while
>    she works. Unfortunately, every now and again, she will lose audio on it,
>    and I have the damnedest time getting it to work again. I don't know if it
>    is tvtime itself or pulse audio that is the problem. When tvtime is messed
>    up, I can hear a low hum from the speakers, and when I mute tvtime, it
>    goes quiet.
>
>    Since the last release was in Nov 2005, I thought I might try to find
>    something more modern that might play more nicely with pulse. However, all
>    of the sites I have hit thus far have had really, really old apps, or the
>    sites are just gone. I have found apps such as kdetv, kwintv, lintv, etc,
>    but all are old and either dead or unmaintained. Does anyone have any
>    recommendations?

MythTV and/or XBMC are very capable TV solutions, but may be overkill
for what you want. They are basically full-screen "Personal Video
Recorder" solutions (that is, they turn your computer into a TiVo/Sky-Plus type box). If you're after watching TV in a window while getting on with other work, they can be fiddly to work with. But if you're interested in turning the monitor into a TV and sitting back to watch something, then they're good at that.