Re: [SOLVED] mounting my USB RAM Stick

On Thu, 7 Nov 2013 08:05:59 +0100
Jean-Marc <jean-marc@6jf.be> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Nov 2013 22:32:26 +0100
> Jean-Marc <jean-marc@6jf.be> wrote:
>
> > Hi List,
> >
> > I got a strange behavior with my laptop.
> > When I insert a USB stick, it mounts but belongs to root.
> > If I plug it in my desktop, it mounts with my user.
> >
> > Two Jessie systems kernel 3.10 Gnome3.
> >
> > And my user get plugdev group.
> >
> > Any suggestions ?
>
> I got an answer on the debian-user-fr list telling me to take a look
> in /etc/fstab. And I found a line starting with /dev/sdb1.  This made
> my laptop mounting the USB device following this definition but it
> did not manage permissions.
>
> Removing this allows the other automount system to work mounting it
> under /media/<user>/<USB-name>.
>
> Strange, this def in /etc/fstab.

If you ever want to use the USB stick in a script or configuration
(e.g. for storing ssh or openvpn keys) then this is not enough,
depending on what else is plugged in what order, you do not know which
<USB-name> will be used. Some USB peripherals contain memory and
will be mounted as drives in addition to their normal function e.g.
mobile broadband dongles.

Also, for no reason I have been able to find, presumably something
obscure in the partition table, some sticks mount as e.g. /dev/sdb,
rather than /dev/sdb1, even though they do have partition tables (many
USB sticks are originally formatted without partition tables).

I am afraid that when I want the stick mounted at a specific point,
and regardless of whether it wants to mount as partitions or the
complete stick, the only way I have found to do it is with an
/etc/fstab entry based on UUID, mounting as a specific user.

If anyone knows of a better way...

--
Joe