Re: What to do when not understanding man pages?

On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 07:28:24 -0600
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> Joe wrote:
> > On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:55:10 -0600
> > Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> >

> >> To borrow from the hardware world, man pages would correspond to
> >> Product Specification. What I'm looking for would correspond more
> >> with an Application Note.
> >>

> I think you just hit on why 'tutorials' did not come to mind. The
> Debian tutorials I've seen have another problem in my situation -
> taking the reader from one specific starting point to one
> specific end point. That normally is not a problem for the reader
> as start/end points are aimed at majority.

Yes, but the word 'tutorial' covers a range of articles from basic
concepts for beginners up to complex server configurations. What you
often find are examples that aren't in the man pages and a bit of
background theory, something which is never intended to appear in man
pages. It's pretty tricky to pick up concepts from man pages, that's
not what they're for, and it's what you are asking for.

> My problem with the dpkg-scanpackages man pages is that I don't
> seem to be able to apply it correctly to my situation. I wish to
> have a local repository whose structure mimics the distribution DVDs.

Sorry, I can't help there. You are in a somewhat unusual situation, and
the nearest I've ever come to it is using a local apt cache, which I
haven't done for some years but should probably do again, as I now have
three sid installations. Lots of bandwidth to save there...

--
Joe