Re: Init system deba{te|cle}

On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 03:10:31PM +0100, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> As simple Debian users, we indeed do not mind about portability
> stuff. But for Debian's maintainers, using systemd as default means
> that they'll have to maintain other systems for Debian Hurd and
> Debian KFreeBSD.

Debian Hurd is not a release architecture so the project is not hobbled
by its requirements (yet). That's certainly the case for KFreeBSD, so
long as it remains a release architecture for jessie. Quite separately
from the init discussion, I believe some of my fellow developers have
concerns regarding its readiness (and did so for wheezy too).

> But, indeed, almost nobody mind about that, because linux is
> probably the most used kernel in free software world, and not with a
> small difference. Linux is like the windows of free software world
> (in term of adoption, not about other aspects).

Yes, in Debian the amd64 variant of the Linux kernel is more popular
than the two KFreeBSD variants combined by a very large margin.