Re: No space left on device (28) but device is NOT full!

On 11/4/2013 8:30 PM, Tazman Deville wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 06:43:45PM -0500, Hecber Cordova wrote:
>>    Hi,
>>
>>    Did you check inodes usage? (df -i)
>>
>>    I could be inodes availability rather than block availability.
>

> AHA!
>
> I have no idea what the significance of this is, but
> df -i gives
> $ df -i
> Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
> /dev/sda7            1729920 1729920       0  100% /
>
> So, yeah...inodes, but I'm ignorant of what that means,
> or how to resolve that.

First it means you're using a filesystem with a small fixed number of
inodes, obviously EXT.

Second, you have a serious problem here because it is your root
filesystem that has run out of inodes.  You need to ask yourself why you
have 1.7M files in your rootfs.  That's very dumb.  That's what /home
and /data and other places are to be used for.

To remedy this you will need to copy files off of the rootfs to another
filesystem, then delete them from your rootfs to free some of these inodes.

Food for thought:  your /dev/sda7 is an EXT filesystem of 26GB with 1.7M
inodes.  XFS would give you ~23M inodes on a 26GB filesystem.

--
Stan