Re: Init system deba{te|cle}

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 9:45 PM, Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 21:23:01 +0000
> Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I don't trust this guy. He's generally very abrasive and very
>> aggressive. He joined or started a debian-devel thread on init systems
>> and tried to convince people that openrc was the solution to Debian's
>> prayers. It was the sales pitch from hell! He's especially unreliable
>> when it comes to systemd.
>
> Well, whoever he is, he raises some valid questions. Such as - what
> logind are supposed to do? Why bother keeping unrelated projects in
> systemd git?

He's a Gentoo developer who might be involved in OpenRC development
(he's not its Gentoo maintainer).

logind is a replacement of ConsoleKit, which is now dead upstream (and
has been for one or two years).

On my (Ubuntu) laptop:

[root@lenovo15]# loginctl list-sessions
   SESSION        UID USER             SEAT
        c1        124 dirmngr          seat0
        c2       1000 th               seat0

2 sessions listed.
[root@lenovo15]# loginctl list-users
       UID USER
       124 dirmngr
      1000 th

2 users listed.
[root@lenovo15]# loginctl list-seats
SEAT
seat0

1 seats listed.

Its role is the tracking and management of user sessions. That somehow
extends into power management and the first dependency of GNOME on
systemd (that I know of) was of the power module of
gnome-settings-daemon in GNOME 3.8.

>> If the Ubuntu developers who've already split logind from systemd up
>> to v204 throw up their hands and say it can't be done for v205+, then
>> I'll believe it...
>
> Not that I'm in hurry too :)

You might not be in a hurry but I'm sure that there are Debian users
and developers who'd like to see GNOME depend on logind rather than on
systemd.