Re: Init system deba{te|cle}

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 16:55:44 -0400
John <JohnRChamplin@wowway.com> wrote:

> Could someone who has been following the giant fuss on -devel over
> init systems explain why there's such a sense of dire urgency?

I am sure this is not urgent, Gnome should not be default DE and even
they could easily just make two (or more) DE options in installer.
XFCE4 is on Wheezy DVD-1.

Decisions like changing such an essential part of OS should not be made
in rush.

With systemd, your system cannot start without DBus to coordinate
processes. This makes early system startup to complicated. You cannot
start your system w/o DBus installed and working. This can also make
problems to small/embedded systems because of increased storage/memory
consumption.

SysVInit simply works. Symbolic links are a simple and natural way to
control system startup. We have update-rc.d. And LSB tags provide
protection for order of services.

We should just improve our startup scripts, instead of adapting
everything to systemd. We would have to learn syntax and way of usage
of systemd, and for additional flexibility we would have to use shell
scripts anyway.

I do not see enough reasons for Gnome to depend on systemd, other than
forcing us to switch to systemd for interests of big corporations.

--
http://mr.flossdaily.org