Re: Lenovo R61 Think Pad dead after fewer than five years

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 14:53:46 -0400
Ken Heard <kenslists@teksavvy.com> wrote:

> In May 2008 I purchased new and started using a Lenovo R61 Think Pad.
>  Originally I installed Lenny on it and subsequently upgraded it to
> Squeeze.
>
> Starting from 2013-01-01 various things started going wrong.  For
> example I began to get segmentation fault errors for packages that I
> had used successfully before that date.  Some of other problems where
> intermittent sound, and failure to detect the printer, even manually.
>
> At first I thought these were software faults and sought help from
> this list.  Finally I decided to spend $100 for diagnostic tests.  The
> diagnosis was a failed main board, but the hard drive and the memory
> modules were okay.  The cost of repairs would approximate the cost of
> a new laptop.
>
> Is it normal for any laptop to fail in fewer than five years, or is
> such a failure rate unique to Lenovo's laptops?

Any piece of electronics can fail, but I'm pretty sure that an R-series
ThinkPad doesn't have a *higher* failure rate than laptops in general.
My understanding is that the business class ThinkPad lines are beloved
precisely for (among other things) their superior build quality; I
bought a (refurbished) T61 (which ISTR is quite similar to the R61) for
exactly this reason, and I've been very happy with it.

> Regards, Ken Heard

Celejar