Re: bind9

Hi

On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 01:10:33AM -0400, Roman Gelfand wrote:
> My workstations' ips are assigned by dhcp server on firewall.  The
> bind9 is running on debian 7 box.  Is there a way to automatically
> update forward and reverse zones?

In this configuration: probably not.

Having the name server on a debian box is obviously sensible (this is
a Debian list after all!), but since DHCP is done by the firewall
there is no way the name server can be updated by that.  Unless you
want to resort to sort of automated network traffic analysis ... But
let's not go there...

But does the firewall HAVE to run DHCP?  If it is possible to turn
that off, then you can run a DHCP server on the debian box, and use
the normal DHCP -> DNS updates for both forward and reverse zones...

--
Karl E. Jorgensen