Re: Hosting advice

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 11:36:59 -0400
Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:

> Joel Rees wrote:
> >
> > Now, to forestall your next diatribe, Craig said his friend needed an
> > e-mail address and a net presence in a real hurry. He did not say he
> > needed a full-blown business site, just a net presence. He did not say
> > in a couple of days, he said tonight.
> >

> For what it's worth, if you really mean basic presence, right spanking
> now, I'd go with GoDaddy.  Sure there are downsides to GoDaddy, but when
> it comes to quick and easy setup of an email presence and a basic web
> site (using your choice of content management systems) - they're quick,
> easy, and inexpensive.
>
> I say this as someone who used to run a small hosting service, and still
> does most of my personal and business hosting on a Debian cluster that I
> own, sitting in a commercial data center, that I maintain.  But, when I
> had to set up a web site for my wife's business, and email/hosting for a
> new venture of my own, I just plunked down the $100 for a GoDaddy
> business package, clicked a few buttons, and had email and WordPress up
> and running.  Some of that I've since migrated to virtual machines on my
> cluster, other pieces are still chugging away at GoDaddy.

Everyone seems to knock GoDaddy, but I've been using them for a tiny
(in terms of traffic) personal WordPress installation, and I'm perfectly
happy with them. I know that their advertised image is rather sleazy,
and the constant upselling attempts are annoying, but at least for my
minimal needs, their domain registry / hosting Just Works.

I had my domain with them for a few years, and then more recently when
I found myself in need of a new hosting provider, I discovered that I
was apparently grandfathered in for free Economy / Classic / 2GH
hosting. There are some claims that they put ads on such websites, but
we've never discovered any on mine. Everything works perfectly, and for
just the annual ~$10 or so for the domain, I get the hosting included.

Of course, this is a tiny site, and I'm not sure this perk still
exists. I'm no hosting expert, and my needs are very basic.

Celejar