Re: ANDROID (back to the OQ)

On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 07:20:23AM -0400, ken wrote:

> Many years ago-- well, between ten and twenty, I believe-- there was
> legislation which allowed people to install any kind of phones they
> wanted in their home or business.  Prior to this AT&T would permit
> only its own phones and phone systems.  This same was interpreted to
> allow people to install whatever software on their own phones that
> they wanted.  I'm (still) not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that's
> the situation today, i.e., you bought it, it's yours, so you can do
> what you want with it, including jailbreaking it.  But doing so
> would more than likely invalidate any warrantee and support
> agreement that came with the phone.

DMCA (the Digital Millennium Copyright Act) supercedes that law and makes it
illegal again. The Librarian of Congress permitted an exemption for a while,
but no longer:
http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/28/surprise-its-now-illegal-to-jailbreak-smartphones-switch-carriers/

http://www.iclarified.com/25365/library-of-congress-rules-jailbreaking-ipads-and-unlocking-new-iphones-illegal
--
Carl Fink                           carlf@li-con.org
Chair, LI-CON, March 29-30, 2014, Rockville Centre, NY