Re: Migrating 32 -> 64

On 08/10/13 17:25, Gregory Seidman wrote:
I have a low-cost (i.e. old and refurbished) server at home, but it's
showing indications of impending hardware failure (e.g. the on-board NIC
was being reset automatically every 2 seconds for a while because it was
hanging). As a result, I have purchased a new (old and refurbished)
machine. The difference is that this one has an x86-64 whereas the old one
is 32-bit.

First, back up everything in the old box.

Install a Gigabit NIC into the old box and turn off the motherboard NIC in the BIOS. Get the new NIC working.

Do a fresh install of current Debian stable amd64 on the new box. Then for each service: disable service on old box, back up service/ data on old box, install/ configure service on new box, restore/ migrate service data into new box, validate data on new box, set up backup's for service/ data on new box, back up service/ data on new box, validate backup on new box, enable service on new box, and change clients to use service on new box.

Leave the old box intact for a few weeks until you're confident in the new box. Then you can wipe the old box and use it for something else.

Ideally, I'd like to move the HD from the old one to the new one, boot, and
tell it to upgrade all the packages for the new architecture. Is it that
easy? Are there complications I need to watch out for? Is there anything I
should do to prepare before moving the disk (e.g. must I replace LILO with
grub)?

There might be people who can do that, but I'm not one of them. I prefer KISS and bullet-proof.

HTH,

David