Re: How to recover after unintentional 'dpkg --unpack' ? (was ... Re: Dpkg SNAFU was Re: Oops!)

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 06:13:20PM +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > Changing subject as suggested by Chris, and reposting original
> > question.
>
> Still an unhelpful question, esp when one knows the true meaning of
> SNAFU
>
> > have resulted in Gnome being install, too.  More or less.  So I
> > just did as root in /root a 'dpkg --download,' and then an
> > '--unpack' thinking that would uncompress the .deb file in /root
> > from which I would get the single svg file I needed, and then just
> > delete everything else.  Simple. Right?  Wrong. Now, I'm stuck with
> > about 4.5 megs of Gnome data, icons,
>
> AFAIU, a .deb file is just an 'ar' archive.
>
> As to how to recover after an unintentional unpack, ... dunno.
> Hopefully someone on this list knows now that the subject explains
> your predicament.

Fortunately --unpack just "installed" files to their appropriate
directories, but didn't "trigger" or configure anything.  Not all that
up on dpkg. Have always used apt-get.

If I don't hear anything bad to the contrary in the next day or so, I'm
just going to use "--purge" to remove the package after creating
a copy of the file I need in a safe directory, then copy the copy back
after the purging.  Hopefully, it will work.