Re: Last line of aptitude output after full-upgrade

> On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 06:21:14AM -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Can anyone explain what the final line from an
>>
>>   aptitude update (After setting sources.list to "testing")
>>
>>   aptitude full-upgrade
>>
>> This very last line from aptitude seems like its probably full of
>> meaning, but not much use if I cannot find out what the heck it means.
>>
>> It apparently sums up what happened during the last 1hr+ of scrolling
>> and scrolling output.
>> ,----
>> |    Current status: 0 updates [-1029], 37263 new [-11]
>> `----
>
> This string appears to be generated around
> http://sources.debian.net/src/aptitude/0.6.8-1/src/cmdline/cmdline_util.cc?hl=376#L376
>
> That appears to indicate that there are (in your example) 0 updates
> and this has gone down by 1029. In other words, at the start of the
> aptitude run there were 1029 packages to update and now there are 0.
> Additionally, at the start of the run there were 32774 new packages
> and now there are 32763 - probably some were installed as
> dependencies of the update.

Well thanks for digging up such a good answer.

>> Some seem to be awfully high numbers if the are tracking pkgs,
>> nnless the numbers are an accounting of each and every FILE during
>> this upgrade.
>
> Not really. 32000 packages sounds about right for the whole of
> debian. I can't find an official number at the moment... Ah, here we
> are http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian says "over 37500"

So those 30000+ numbers are referring to the number of pkgs in the
whole debian repo?  That is, the number of pkgs that could potentially
be installed?

aptitude shows 44600 I guess that is counting virtual, meta and
whatever else is not actual pkgs on a repo.

I guess I'm having a bit of trouble seeing why that is something I
need to know... In the context of a `Current Status' report following
a `full-upgrade', it would seem more reasonable to mention how many pkgs
are on my system before and after...

dpkg --get-selections shows 2794 actually installed.