Re: wacky question

Same here!

If you are trying to pursue security without thinking about "trust
issues", either you are God or you believe there is one somewhere.
Someone who has all knowledge possible.

Well, they have designed just their first try on layman's eye.

--

Luther Blisset
GNUPG/PGP KEY: 6722CF80

I challenge you to play the game in which there is no loser but
everything is fun and worthwhile!

--- Begin Message ---
Dňa 21.06.2013 23:23 Greg  wrote / napísal(a):
> On Thu, 2013-06-20 at 20:40 +0200, Slavko wrote:
>> Dňa 20.06.2013 17:12 Greg  wrote / napísal(a):
>>
>>> I'm just wondering what debian does to check and protect its users, so
>>> fuck me, right?
>>
>> Your protection is your responsibility. The Debian (and other OS) can
>> only help you with this. Of course, some can do it better and another
>> no. An some can criminalize you, when you want to see what is inside (by
>> license violation), but these last are then taking responsibility, but
>> do you really want to loose your own responsibility?
>>
>> IMO, if you want to transmit your responsibility, you must select
>> another model of OS, than Debian is.
>
> So I have no right to ask to to even think about how software is built
> or made available by debian? To protect myself I have but to debug every
> line of code I use and build it all myself, on CPU's I forged in my
> backyard smithy? Perhaps I could launch my own satellites to ensure safe
> global access to a self-made internet.

Are you read the GPL (and many other free licenses)? NO WARRANTY is
provided! Simple, you can use it, but at own responsibility.

Provided security level is only about goodwill. But what security level
provides Facebook (and similar)? And more and more people are using it,
despite the warnings. Is its low security taking its popularity? Is
Facebook's goodwill depended on its own security? IMHO no, its (and
others) popularity is based on the users naivety. And naive people are
good for today governments - they do not see, the do not hear, they do
not understand.

I was for years marked as paranoid, now my paranoia has name :-) But, i
need to trust to someone (as you are pointing). Simple, i trust to the
Debian's community, that if there will be security/privacy hole, it will
be investigated and reported - and quickly than with SSL :-)))

regards

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk