Re: Sound But No CD Sound - No Solution But Alternatives Work

Hi,

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 10:02:59 -0400
"Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 04, 2013 at 09:15:35AM -0400, Thomas H. George
> wrote:
> > My system is Wheezy.
> > ogg123 plays ogg files perfectly with sound.
> > workbone plays the cd but there is no sound.
> > cdir lists the tracks on the cd.
> >
> A lot of interesting suggestions were made but nothing solved
> the problem.  Both workbone and cdplay apparently work but no
> sound. Alsamixer has no cd slider.

are you sure it's a software problem?

Last time I saw a CD-ROM on an older desktop, there was this
thin 3-vein cable that needed to be connected from the drive to
the sound card/motherboard.  Besides the IDE and power cable.

Forgetting that, I had the same issue: I could rip and list CD
tracks, but could not play the CD directly using e.g.
cdplayer.exe.  (Yes, it was Windows).  But some other players
could do it---apparently they were using the IDE interface to
access the PCM data, not just triggering drive's native play
mode.

aL.

--
Alois Mahdal