Re: Sid wants to remove lots of packages

Andrei writes:
> Not necessarily. The package being installed might conflict with them
> (for good reasons) and aptitude doesn't always suggest the option with
> fewer removals.

In that case Aptitude would be stating that it proposed to remove them,
not merely mentioning that they were no longer required.

If I misunderstood and the OP meant the former it is most likely that
his new package requires the newest version of some library.  Aptitude
will then propose the removal of anything that (directly or indirectly)
depends on that library but has not been upgraded to use the new
version.  This is common in Sid and it is the reason packages do not
migrate to Testing until all their dependencies can be satisfied there.

One can ask Aptitude to propose some other solutions, or just wait a
few days and try again.
--
John Hasler