Re: Sid wants to remove lots of packages

Anthony Campbell writes:
> If I try to install any package I see a list of some 80 packages which
> were automatically installed and are no longer required. The list
> includes apt, grub-pc-bin, and grub2-common.

> Obviously I'm not goint to remove all these...

So don't.  It's merely informing you that those packages were
automatically installed as dependencies and that no packages depending
on them remain.  If you don't want to see the message mark the packages
as manually-installed.

Because any developer can upload anything to Sid at any time without
regard to dependencies it is not unusual to get funny-looking results
when trying to install from it.  If you want to run Sid you need to
understand a bit about the package-management system.  Read the man
pages for apt, dpkg, & friends.  You also sometimes need to wait a bit
before installing a new package.
--
John Hasler