wheezy upgrade: apt-get wants squeeze CD but fails to recognise drive

Hello folks.
I'm new here, so apologies if I break some protocol or othe: it's unintentional. I have been googling, sdearching the wiki, and searching the newsgroups all day today but have not seen my problem reported, so am reporting it myself.
Yesterday I tried upgrading from squeeze (which has worked perfectly on my Dell laptop) to wheezy. The upgrade was via WiFi. I followed the upgrade instructions to the letter AFAIK, including ensuring I was upgrading from a simple console session. Because my HD was a little low on space in /var, I opted to go for the two-stage upgrade, i.e.:
apt-get upgrade
then reset sources.list to squeeze & re-clean cache as instructed in the upgrade guide, then switch source back to wheezy and
apt-get dist-upgrade.
The initial minimal upgrade proceeded without problems AFAICT.
I cleaned the cache, re-pointed sources to wheezy and did the apt-get dist-upgrade.
Many packages were downloaded without incident.
Part way through the package replacement stage, as, expected, apt-get asked for CD 2 of my original squeeze install. I bunged it into the drive and hit the button...and again and again many times, but it never recognised the CD.
Please note that I have _NOT_ rebooted, and that the WiFi link is now gone because it's a pay-as-you-go hotspot which kills inactive logins after x hours. To re-login I'll need to use a browser with HTML forms, and of course I have no X server running because kdm was killed during the upgrade as expected. If I have to use the Net, I'll have to have a way to install links or something similar first. I'm writing this from another, online, PC elsewhere.

Things I have tried:
1. Checked the CD on another PC: it's perfectly readable, no problem.
2. Copied all 3 of my original baseline Debian squeeze CDs + my squeeze KDE CD to both the laptop HD and to a USB stick, named all 8 in sources.list, did 'apt-get update' to get them read, and retried the dist-upgrade: no change, it still wants the CD and still can't see it (the package it wants is python-gnupginterface).
3. Checked /etc/fstab: yes, there is a /media/cdrom in there.
4. Checked /dev: no, there is no /dev/scd0 in there.
5. Looked at the udev rules files but I don't understand them, sorry.

Questions:
1. Is there a fix for this that I've missed? If so, can you point me there please?
2. Shouldn't there be a /dev/scd0 for udevd to symlink link with /media/cdrom?
3. If so, then assuming I can just create one, how do I do that?
4. If you need more data, tell me what to run and I'll do it (assuming it's possible).
Thanks everybody.

Steve B