Re: installed console keymap not used following reboot

Joe Riel <joer@san.rr.com> writes:

> I have a TrulyErgonomic keyboard and move some of the keys around.  To
> do this in the virtual terminals, I use loadkeys.  I also use
> install-keymap, which creates /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz.  That
> keymap is supposed to be loaded following a reboot.  It is not.  Either
> that or the created file does not correspond to the keymap I generate;
> however, doing
>
> # install-keymap my-keymap
>
> activates the custom keymap and creates the previously mentioned file,
> so it is likely correct.
>
> Any idea why the keymap at /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz is not
> being loaded?

With a bit of digging I resolved this.  Because setupcon is installed,
/etc/init.d/keymap.sh aborts.

To handle this, I modified

/etc/default/keyboard

so that

# KMAP=/etc/console-setup/defkeymap.kmap.gz

is now

KMAP=/etc/console-setup/truly-ergonomic.kmap.gz

I could have made this

KMAP=/etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz

where that file was created by install-keymap, but it
seemed better to rename it and move it to /etc/console-setup.

--
Joe Riel