Re: How to enable cURL php extension in Apache2?

On 6/1/2013 3:21 PM, Csanyi Pal wrote:
Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

I just upgraded Squeeze to Wheezy, and have difficulties with cURL PHP
extension: I can't enable it.

I have installed following packages related to this issue:
curl, libcurl3, libcurl3-gnutls, php5-curl.

I know that cURL extension is not enabled because I want to install
Moodle and it complains about cURL extension.

How can I solve this problem?

I have in
/etc/php5/mods-available/curl.ini
; configuration for php CURL module
; priority=20
extension=curl.so

Still doesn't work cURL. Why?

What do you have in /etc/php5/mods-enabled?

I even haven't the /etc/php5/mods-enabled/ directory.

Instead, I have this symbolic link:
/etc/php5/conf.d/@20-curl.ini

that pointing to the:
-> ../mods-available/curl.ini

Sorry - you're right.  Got that mixed up with the Apache mods.

cURL *should* be installed then.

Yes, I think so too.

$ aptitude search php5-curl
i   php5-curl - CURL module for php5

I've never worked with Moodle, but a quick glance indicates it's a web
application running under Apache.  After installing the cURL
extensions, you did restart Apache, correct?

Yes, I restarted Apache2 with '/etc/init.d/apache2 restart' command.

You can prove if cURL is installed under the Apache version of PHP
(not the same as the CLI version) with a simple page containing only:

How could I know whether I have the Apache version of PHP installed?

$ aptitude show php5-curl
Package: php5-curl
New: yes
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 5.4.4-14
Section: php
Maintainer: Debian PHP Maintainers
<pkg-php-maint@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: powerpc
Uncompressed Size: 115 k
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4), libcurl3 (>= 7.16.2), phpapi-20100525+lfs,
php5-common (= 5.4.4-14),
           ucf
PreDepends: dpkg (>= 1.15.7.2~)
   CURL is a library for getting files from  FTP, GOPHER, HTTP server.

   PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a
   widely-used open source
   general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web
   development and can be
   embedded into HTML.
Homepage: http://www.php.net/

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

This will show all extensions loaded.  If cURL is listed, then you
should follow up with Moodle (incorrect test for cURL?).

I created the file info.php with the abowe mentioned content, and try it
out, but curl extension isn't listed there.

If it is not listed, we need to follow up more - what does it say the
config file you're using is?

Which config file do you think about?

Look at the output of your phpinfo() function - what does it show as
"Loaded configuration file"?  What about the next two boxes ("Scan
this dir for additional .ini files" and "Additional .ini files
parsed"?

Loaded Configuration File:
  /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini

Scan this dir for additional .ini files:
  /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d

Additional .ini files parsed:
/etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/gd.ini, /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/intl.ini,
/etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/mcrypt.ini, /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/mysql.ini,
/etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/mysqli.ini, /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/pdo.ini,
/etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/pdo_mysql.ini,
/etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/xcache.ini

So I don't see the content of the /etc/php5/conf.d/ directory here, with
files as: @10-pdo.ini, @20-curl.ini, ..., @20-xmlrpc.ini.

For Moodle installation both curl and xmlrpc are needed.

Hmmm, looks like it didn't install the symlink for cURL in /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d. It should be linked to ../mods-available/curl.ini.

Not sure why this didn't happen - it should have been built as a part of the cURL installation.