Re: ssh login fails, access denied

Bonno Bloksma <b.bloksma@tio.nl> wrote:
> Just did my first Wheezy install on a VMware virtual machine. I accepted
> the default SSH server option.
> Server is running, I can log in via the VMware console both as the root
> user and as the regular user and use "su -" to switch to the root user.

> When I use PuTTY to set up a ssh session to my server I get the login
> prompt. I enter the login name root or the user.
> It asks me for the password and once I have given that I always get
> "access denied".

Have you really connected to the right server?
Is there anything relevant in /var/log/auth.log?

If you "tail -F /var/log/auth.log" on the console, you should see logging
for the connection attempt from PuTTY. You should also see something if
you do something as simple as "telnet servername 22" (for an appropriate
value of servername) and then break out.

Chris