Re: /boot on ext2, 3 or 4?

On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 11:20:07AM +0000, Bonno Bloksma wrote:
> Doing a test install of Wheezy. I am used to having a separate /boot partition at the beginning of the disk and everything else in a LVM partition.
> I noticed Wheezy wants to make everything ext4 by default now, so I assume it is beyond the extended testing stage and can be relied on. But...  what about /boot?
>
> Should I have my /boot partition as ext4 as well or should I make it ext3 or even ext2? And why?
> As this is just a test I am going forward with ext4 but I would like to get your input.

You don't need a separate /boot, and you haven't needed it for some
years.

With current GRUB and initramfs, you can boot directly from LVM, or
LVM on RAID.  You can certainly use ext4 on it as well, though you
can continue to use ext3 or even ext2.  But it's all quite
unnecessary!  You can just have a single root filesystem including
/boot on LVM, and it will just work.  You can of course have a
separate /boot LV or /boot partition, but it's not at all required.

If you aren't using an initramfs, then you will still need a /boot
partition outside of LVM.  But that's not the default.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh