Re: wheezy install missing contrib and non-free

It's usually possible to have wheezy netinst image ask about nonfree
packages but a couple things need doing first.  Either use expert as a
boot parameter or a ways down into install hit (<) followed by enter a
few times and get back out to the main menu where you'll have to key in
numbers to make your selections.  Once there, adjust debconf priority
down to low and then continue with the installation process from the
main menu.  For speakup users, wheezy doesn't do anything with any
parameters after the s is typed and puts us in a beginer mode for
installation.  I finally found that (< cr) combination and found what it
does.

On Tue, 7 May 2013, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 12:21:24PM -0500, Default User wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I did a fresh install of Debian 7.0.0 (Wheezy), using the
> > debian-7.0.0-amd64-i386-netinst.iso.
> >
> > In the past , during the install process, it would ask if the user wanted
> > to include the contrib and non-free repositiories.  Not this time.  The
> > install went okay, but only included packages from the main repository.
> >
> > If I manually added "contrib" and non-free" to /etc/apt/sources.list, and
> > did apt-get update, then apt-get upgrade, would that add the missing
> > contrib and non-free stuff?
>
> What's missing? AFAIU, anything that is in main doesn't require anything
> from contrib or non-free -- if it did then it wouldn't be in main.
>
> So if you explicitly want a package from contrib or non-free then, yes,
> of course you'll need to enable them in your /etc/apt/sources.list,
> then do an explict "apt-get install package-not-in-main"
>
> IOW, just enabling them in your /etc/apt/sources.list then doing "apt-get
> update" followed by "apt-get upgrade" shouldn't pull in any extra
> packages.
>
> > And would that mess up the already installed system?
>
> No. They should all coexist peacefully together, but you may not need to
> enable the "contrib" and "non-free" repositories if you are already
> happy with your system.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
About to block another web browser version?  Ask yourself what Tim
Berners-lee would do.