Re: Debian 7 Wheezy Stable Relelased

On Sun, 05 May 2013, Carl Fink wrote:

> On Sun, May 05, 2013 at 07:30:00PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>
> > I never use the "Stable" name any more.  Learned my lesson a
> > few years ago when I upgraded an install of Etch--sources set to
> > "Stable"--not realizing that Lenny had just become the new
> > "Stable".  I ended up with a hybrid system, a mix of Etch and
> > Lenny.  Amazingly, it still worked. And still does. However, I
> > never 'apt-get upgraded' again for fear of trashing it.
>
> That's really odd. Reinstalling Debian from scratch only takes an
> hour at most, after all. (I use dpkg --get-selections >
> selections.txt to record which packages I had installed.)

This was years ago--7 or so--on a Thinkpad 240X (500MHz Pentium &
192MB RAM) that was already 5+ years old at the time. Installing Debian
or any OS on it wasn't a simple process. It would only boot off the hard
drive or floppy.  So, you started with a boot floppy, loaded drivers
off another two floppies, and the install would then switch and
continue off the install CD. Unfortunately, Etch didn't have the proper
CD drivers on its driver disk, but Sarge did. So, I did a base install
of Sarge, then a distribution upgrade to a base install of Etch which
was not a simple process. It involved manually deleting files,
changing configs, etc. before even starting the upgrade.  Otherwise,
the upgrade would fail.  Quite a process.  But there were excellent
step-by-step instructions in Debian's Upgrade instructions, so it went
smoothly. I then completed the process by installing the rest of the
system app by app, including X and XFCE.

Took several hours to complete, and I had no desire to repeat it.  So,
after the upgrade debacle a year or so later with system ending up a mix
of Etch and Lenny, I left the system as it was.  And that's where it
remains today. Amazingly, I still use it on a regular basis.