Upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy fails

I attempted to upgrade my Averatec 3200 laptop from Squeeze to
Wheezy on 5/5/13.  The laptop has an AMD Athlon 486 processor
and Unichrome graphics.  The only non-Debian software
installed on this machine is Mozilla Firefox.  This laptop has
successfully run Sarge, Etch, Lenny and Squeeze and was
successfully upgraded to Squeeze following the instructions in
the Debian.org site. The following problems occurred during the
upgrade to Wheezy:

-the upgrade stopped twice because of errors, once for libav-?
and once for libreoffice-?

-I had to issue the command 'apt-get install -f' two separate
times to get the upgrade completed, in addition to issuing the
command 'apt-get dist-upgrade' two times in the middle of the
upgrade.

-Gnome 3 will not run.  Default Gnome is very limited in this
machine.

-xfce runs OK but the default terminal has no prompt.  Changing
to each of the three rxvt versions will crash X when started.
xterm will work.

I upgraded the laptop first to see what would happen.  My main
computer is a desktop machine running Squeeze but also with
Unichrome graphics and and AMD Athlon 686 processor.  I will not
upgrade this desktop machine if it ends up like the laptop,
which is barely usable.

Richard Wilson