Re: Testing: install new amd64 kernel in parallel

Reco wrote:
> Felix Natter wrote:
> > Can you really recommend 'apt-get dist-upgrade' over 'apt-get upgrade'?
>
> Both are useful, just for different use cases:

Yes.  But actually both are required and used together.  (I know you
know this because you said "tried first" in the below.)

> a) apt-get upgrade
> You want to be sure that nothing will be removed on upgrade, and
> nothing unneeded will be installed. Considered a safe option, should be
> tried first.
>
> b) apt-get dist-upgrade
> You want your upgrades here and now and willing to tolerate some
> collateral damage (joking :). Considered "you've read everything it
> wrote to you" option.

Yes to the above.   But I want to emphasize that it isn't either/or.
It is one then the other.  First keep things simple by only doing
package upgrades that don't change installed packages.  Then when all
of that is done do a dist-upgrade where package migrations are needed.

  apt-get update
  apt-get upgrade
  apt-get dist-upgrade

> Please consider reading man 8 apt-get. It's all there.

Yes.  Documentation.  Good stuff!

Bob