Re: Testing: install new amd64 kernel in parallel

 Hi.

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 13:52:53 +0100
Felix Natter <fnatter@gmx.net> wrote:

> >> Is it enough to install "linux-image-3.11-2-amd64" manually and then do
> >> the "apt-get upgrade"?
> >
> > There is no need to complicate things. 'apt-get dist-upgrade' will
> > suffice, and it will keep your current kernel along with a new one.
>
> I guess the same goes for 'apt-get upgrade'?

No. 'apt-get upgrade' will never install or remove package. So it'll
just 'keep back' (apt says so usually in these cases) linux-image-amd64
and do nothing.

> And the reason why I got automatic (replacing) updates for linux-image
> 3.10 is that it was minor version update (3.10.x)?

The same package name is the reason.
Well, technically they put some patches to the source and rebuilt it,
but presumably it didn't change kernel ABI at all. So, instead of
putting it to a separate linux-image-3.10-3-amd64 (note the last '3'),
they put it into the same linux-image-3.10-2-amd64 (note the last '2')
and bumped version.

'apt-get upgrade' was permitted to upgrade the kernel because it's a
package version change, not installing new one.

> Can you really recommend 'apt-get dist-upgrade' over 'apt-get upgrade'?

Both are useful, just for different use cases:

a) apt-get upgrade
You want to be sure that nothing will be removed on upgrade, and
nothing unneeded will be installed. Considered a safe option, should be
tried first.

b) apt-get dist-upgrade
You want your upgrades here and now and willing to tolerate some
collateral damage (joking :). Considered "you've read everything it
wrote to you" option.

Please consider reading man 8 apt-get. It's all there.

Reco