Re: why does my sound card not work?

On 30/12/13 14:45, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 02:32:44PM +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:

>>> What!?
>>
>> The only alsa or pulse-audio packages he has installed.
>
> Yep, and that ain't good, is it?

Not if you want sound... of course it'd be helpful to know what the OP
wants to do with the sound (and what release is in use). That way a
sound system that supports the intended application can be installed,
generally alsa alone will do the job but some apps and environments have
different, um, preferences.

>>> What is complete/unedited output of:
>>> root@tal:~# dpkg -l alsa*
>>
>> Nothing.
>
> There must be some output!? Even the symbols at the beginning of the
> line tell you *something*

dpkg -l can only provide useful information on what's installed

> What am I mising here? ... (if you want sound you need ALSA)

Yes. That's why I checked to see if he had it installed first before
trying to configure what doesn't exist.

Kind regards