Upgraded apache 2.2 -> 2.4 and cannot get passwords to work

My modest-sized web server was recently upgraded.  There were problems
with access control, fairly well documented and fairly easily fixed.

Authentication, on the other hand, acts as if it's not there -- anyone
and everyone is let into the few parts that used to be controlled.  So
I have them offline for now.  I don't see any writeups of problems
with this, so perhaps the way I solved access control borked the
authentication.

I have everything in /var/www and /www, and the authenticated parts
are in /www, with a Directory stanza containing authentication info
for each of the two (but apache is apparently ignoring them).  I don't
have /srv.  Authentication is by a simple text file with less than 100
entries.

Does anyone have a similar setup in apache 2.4 that works?  Care to share how?

--
Kevin O'Gorman