Re: Can't set hostname through preseed.cfg in Weezy

On 27/12/13 21:21, Todd Maurice wrote:
> I am installing Debain Stable/Weezy (netinstall) in VirtualBOX using
> preseed.cfg on a i386 host and I am having a few problems.
>
> 1. Software deselection
> What is the correct command for no installed packages (bare CLI)?
>
> tasksel tasksel/first multiselect none
> -or-
> tasksel tasksel/first multiselect ""
> -or-
> tasksel tasksel/first multiselect

"No installed packages" != "bare CLI" (you can also *remove* packages
during the install using "d-i preseed/late_command string")

Perhaps you mean "

Try the following in preseed.cfg:-
d-i	tasksel tasksel/first multiselect standard

NOTE: run:-
debconf-get-selections --installer | less
to see all the available options
see also:-
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apbs04.html.en

*Or*, append to the boot:-
tasks standard

NOTE:
alias=tasks	debconf tag=tasksel:tasksel/first
see /etc/preseed.aliases in the initrd of the debian installer

> 2. Hostname
>
> I tried both
>
> d-i netcfg/hostname somehost
> -and-
> d-i netcfg/get_hostname string somehost
>
> but in both cases the host gets set as "debian". I tried both at the
> same time but still the host is set as "debian".

You don't say what you are appending to the boot and where you put
preseed.cfg/s

> I use "d-i netcfg/choose_interface select auto" for network settings.

Try:-
;preseed.cfg
d-i netcfg/choose_interface select eth0

*Or*
;append
interface eth0

Are you using dhcp or static?
Wireless or wired?

e.g. for static:-
;append:-
nameservers string 8.8.8.8 8.8.8.4
ipaddress string 192.168.0.56
netmask string 255.255.255.0
gateway string 192.168.0.6
netcfg/confirm_static boolean true
hostname preseedpartition
domain dev

NOTE: see preseed_aliases mentioned earlier in post

;preseed.cfg:-
d-i netcfg/get_nameservers string 8.8.8.8
d-i netcfg/get_ipaddress string 192.168.0.56
d-i netcfg/get_netmask string 255.255.255.0
d-i netcfg/get_gateway string 192.168.0.6
d-i netcfg/confirm_static boolean true
d-i netcfg/get_hostname string preseedpartition
d-i netcfg/get_domain string .dev

NOTE: requires confirm_static

> Thank you and happy celebrations.

Kind regards