Re: How do I solve pinning issues - Was: jwm

On Vi, 27 dec 13, 11:07:13, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> Package: *
> Pin: release n=wheezy
> Pin-Priority: 400
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release n=wheezy-backports
> Pin-Priority: 300

This is a bad idea, especially in combination with below priorities.
Backports is special because there is no guarantee that packages in
backports work well together, unless specifically indicated so by
package relationships (e.g. a backported package depends on the specific
version in backports of another package).

> Package: *
> Pin: release n=jessie
> Pin-Priority: 200
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release n=sid
> Pin-Priority: 100

As far as I understand you stay as much as possible with stable and only
use selected newer packages. Assuming this is possible[1] I would
suggest you remove all pins an replace them with:

    APT::Default-Release "wheezy";

in /etc/apt/apt.conf (or a .conf file under /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ ). This
will set wheezy to 990 and leave jessie and sid to 500. Backports should
stay at 100. You *might* need to pin jessie to something higher than 500
(but still lower than 990) say 600.

You should have a thorough read of apt_preferences(5), especially the
part where it is explained what the various values of pins mean.

[1] at some point you might find out that you need so many newer
packages that it's easier/better to just run testing or unstable.

Kind regards,
Andrei