Re: Adding an SSD

Hi,

Take note, i have the same type of disk but a 256GB variant. If you plan
on compiling software keep the 750GB disk in your system and do the
compiling from/on that disk.

If migrating a linux system i mostly copy /etc to a backup medium and
that's it. Moving /home can be done at any time.

One warning, take care with copying /etc/passwd /etc/passwd- /etc/group /
etc/group- /etc/shadow /etc/shadow- /etc/gshadow /etc/gshadow- on your
freshly installed system. This can cause annoyances and at times trouble.

For all purposes, the most important part is partitioning the disk. Make
sure the parition are aligned. This has a noticeable or even drastic
impact on performance for the better, at least it had for me. This is no
longer a worry if you plan on running and installing from Wheezy.

For sure, check out this page, yes Debian does have documentation ;-)

https://wiki.debian.org/SSDOptimization?
action=show&redirect=SSDoptimization

or check this page http://www.oxitech.info/helpdesk/tweaks.html

I attempt at dumbing down this kind of information into copy-past like
information, this page has just been started and is far from complete but
i assume it's enough to get you started.

I hope this answers some or most of your questions.