Adding an SSD

What is the best approach for adding an SSD to an existing system? This is on my desktop, with a 750GB spinning HD, and I am adding a 120GB Kingston ssdNow 300. Is the backup/nuke'n'pave the best or most reliable approach from a Debian perspective, or is there a way to partition the SSD and transfer the existing contents of the filesystems on the spinning HD to the SSD without overwriting things like the UUIDs of the partitions on the SSD? What are best practices now that SSDs (and the kernel's handling of SSDs) have theoretically gotten "better" over the last couple of years?

I have paid peripheral attention to the whole SSD discussion, but not enough to be an expert. Then, a coworker made me a deal I couldn't pass up, so I bought it. I've been looking through articles for about the last bit, but a lot of them are from 2012 or before, and I'm wondering if they are out of date, and if so, how far.

Finally, I plan to run encrypted partitions, with lvm containers within. From what I have seen in my reading, this is not a problem for SSDs. The encryption layer sits above the filesystem writes, it doesn't actually write to the drive any more than regular writes. So the plan is, due to practical necessity, to have two encrypted volumes, and separate LVM containers within them. On the SSD, the system partitions, like /, /usr, /var, /tmp, /usr/local, etc. On the 750GB drive, /data, ~/.PlayOnLinux, /opt. I'm not sure which way to go with /home. There is plenty of room on the SSD for it, but I am trying to walk the line between the speed of the SSD and "beating it up." So any practical experience or advice from those who have done this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
--b