Re: Changing Hostname?

Jon N wrote:
> It does return the new hostname.  But, I started wondering about legal
> characters.  If you remember my old one was 'localhost-01' but in my
> new one I used an underscore (_).  According to
> netregister.biz/faqit.htm no symbols are usable except the hyphen (-).
> No accented characters either.  So I changed the name again and
> rebooted once more.  This time everything started just fine.

Ah...  Invalid characters in the hostname.  Good to find and fix.

It makes sense that X would have trouble running without a valid
hostname since I know that it has traditionally used the hostname in
the protocol path somewhere.  It would need a valid hostname for X
window clients to communicate with the X window server or nothing
would be happy.

> Not empty, but if it contains illegal characters it won't make any
> difference.  I didn't find any error messages that would clue me in to
> the problem (like: "Warning, you have illegal characters in your
> hostname" :-)).  I did notice on one boot an error message that
> 'hostname.sh' (in /etc/init.d) had failed, but I searched all my log
> files and could not find any reference to it at all.  I guess not
> everything you see on screen during boot makes it into one of the log
> files.

This just came up again in another message.  The new getty upstream
now clears the screen.  And by default boot time messages are not
logged.  What a killing combination!

Install the bootlogd package so that boot time messages are logged.

  # apt-get install bootlogd

Bob