From: Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Sent: Saturday, December 21, 2013 10:53 AM
Subject: Re: Installing Debian 7.3.0 more

On 12/21/2013 01:57 AM, Doug wrote:
> On 12/21/2013 01:47 AM, Go Linux wrote:
>> On Sat, 12/21/13, Alireza Bahrami <a_bahramii@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Subject: Installing Debian 7.3.0
>>  To: "debian-user@lists.debian.org" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
>>  Date: Saturday, December 21, 2013, 12:29 AM
>>      Hi,
>>      I'm
>>  an Iranian electronic engineer focused on industrial
>>  automation projects. After some years of work
>>  experience I've come to the conclusion that I should
>>  learn linux for doing my projects in a more efficent
>>  way.  Unfortunately I don't know any thing about it
>>  and I'm completely new. The first step of course is
>>  installing it. Here I don't have access to any Debian OS
>>  distributor to buy the CDs from, so I downloaded
>> debian-7.3.0-i386-CD-1.iso sized
>>  648MB and copied it on a CD.  According to
>>  Debian website it's enough for installing Debian on
>>  a system. There is an old Dell Latitude laptop with
>>  specs as below which I chose to for this purpose:
>>      Mobile Pentium4: 1.8GHz
>>  CPU
>>  Speed: 1.8GHz
>>  Level
>>  2 Cache: 512KB
>>  System Memory: 256MB
>>  Video
>>  Memory: 32MB
>>  Hard
>>  Drive: 40GB
>>      Its
>>  current OS is windows. Then I chose CD ROM drive as the
>>  first boot system on the laptop and inserted the CD and
>>  restarted the PC. It tried to run the CD, but Linux
>>  didn't come up and after few seconds windows booted up.
>>    First
>>  I thought it was due to a bios setup, so I tried the CD with
>>  a desktop pc. Again I had the same problem.
>>  Is there any one who could Kindly give me some
>>  directives to overcome this problem.
>>      -----------------------------
>>
>> You cannot just copy the iso to CD as a data file.  You need to burn
>> the iso as an image for it to be bootable.  I have no idea how to do
>> that with Windows apps.  With those specs you probably want a minimal
>> desktop environment.  I suggest avoiding Gnome and KDE as they are
>> resource hogs.
>
> To burn an iso image to a cd  or dvd in Windows, first download a free
> file called CDCC from this place
>
> http://burncdcc.en.softonic.com/
>
> and install it to your Windows machine. It *only* burns iso files, so
> you can't screw up!
>
> When you have it installed, just snap on the icon, and point it at
> your downloaded iso. Put a blank disk
> --in this case, a DVD--into your drive and let 'er rip!  (I'm pretty
> sure the Debian distro is too big to fit
> on a CD.)
>
> --doug

You can probably put more memory into your Dell lap. This will be
important with a large dsitro like debian, or any of the
modern main-stream do-it-all distros. I would guess, without looking at
the manual, you could put 2GB memory into the
machine, but you might have to put two 1GB cards. There is the
possibility that you could put just one 2GB card in.
(I put 4GB into a Dell Inspiron, on two 2GB cards, altho the manual says
it will only take 2GB. This allows me to use up
to 3.3GB or so.)

--doug