Re: Installing Debian 7.3.0

On 12/21/2013 01:47 AM, Go Linux wrote:
On Sat, 12/21/13, Alireza Bahrami <a_bahramii@yahoo.com> wrote:

  Subject: Installing Debian 7.3.0
  To: "debian-user@lists.debian.org" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
  Date: Saturday, December 21, 2013, 12:29 AM
Hi, I'm
  an Iranian electronic engineer focused on industrial
  automation projects. After some years of work
  experience I've come to the conclusion that I should
  learn linux for doing my projects in a more efficent
  way.  Unfortunately I don't know any thing about it
  and I'm completely new. The first step of course is
  installing it. Here I don't have access to any Debian OS
  distributor to buy the CDs from, so I downloaded debian-7.3.0-i386-CD-1.iso sized
  648MB and copied it on a CD.  According to
  Debian website it's enough for installing Debian on
  a system. There is an old Dell Latitude laptop with
  specs as below which I chose to for this purpose:
Mobile Pentium4: 1.8GHz
  CPU
  Speed: 1.8GHz
  Level
  2 Cache: 512KB
  System Memory: 256MB
  Video
  Memory: 32MB
  Hard
  Drive: 40GB
Its
  current OS is windows. Then I chose CD ROM drive as the
  first boot system on the laptop and inserted the CD and
  restarted the PC. It tried to run the CD, but Linux
  didn't come up and after few seconds windows booted up.
First
  I thought it was due to a bios setup, so I tried the CD with
  a desktop pc. Again I had the same problem.
  Is there any one who could Kindly give me some
  directives to overcome this problem.

You cannot just copy the iso to CD as a data file.  You need to burn the iso as an image for it to be bootable.  I have no idea how to do that with Windows apps.  With those specs you probably want a minimal desktop environment.  I suggest avoiding Gnome and KDE as they are resource hogs.

To burn an iso image to a cd or dvd in Windows, first download a free file called CDCC from this place

http://burncdcc.en.softonic.com/

and install it to your Windows machine. It *only* burns iso files, so you can't screw up!

When you have it installed, just snap on the icon, and point it at your downloaded iso. Put a blank disk --in this case, a DVD--into your drive and let 'er rip! (I'm pretty sure the Debian distro is too big to fit
on a CD.)

--doug