Re: how to upgrade only from stable.

On Fri, 2013-12-20 at 18:06 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> Thank Bo lan,

You are welcome.

> actually i was assuming that if there is a command to install update
> package specifically from test or sid like "apt-get install <package
> name>/<repository name>"  in same way i though i could run some thing
> like "apt-get upgrade/stable" you know just thinking my way :P never
> mind............

All right, let's thinking on your way. I am sorry that I don't know that
apt-get command like your wish. I think you can try like this:

go to this debian's official package website:
http://packages.debian.org/sid/YOUR-CPU-ARCH/PACKAGE-NAME/download

You will find a lot of mirrors, then choose the near one to download the
package.

use this command to install:
dpkg -i PACKAGE-NAME.deb

then use this command to fix the dependencies:
apt-get install -f

It does absolutely not guarantee that the stable version's dependencies
would fit newer packages. However, don't worry about that, because this
way will not danger your computer.

> actually few days back there is a package nethogs was up date in
> wheeze and old in squeeze. so instead of compiling from source i
> though i could install it  from repo.
>
> and what i did i just add the link to repository
> deb http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy main
> deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy  main
>

> and i then i did apt-get update
> and finally apt-get install nethogs/wheezy and this works for me. but
> i didnt ran "apt-get upgrade or dist-upgrade"

Well, you are okay, because wheezy is stable version right now and it is
save. Now the testing version is jessie. You can consider about updating
to wheezy.

> however people on forums says it is not a right approach to install
> updates from wheezy, instead i should use testing and unstable
> repositories.

They are right, your approach is not a good way. However, this post is
old probably, because now the wheezy is stable and jessie is testing.

Bo