Re: how to upgrade only from stable.

On Fri, 2013-12-20 at 11:32 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> i am using stable,testing and unstable repositories  to get up to date
> packages.

If you are using all three of these repositories, then your Debian
version is unstable (sid), because every package would be updating to
unstable.

> and i am using Debian squeeze,

If you are using Debian squeeze, and have not run "apt-get update &&
apt-get dist-upgrade", you would be okay. You are still in squeeze.
However, if you already did, I am sorry, you are unstable.

> lets say if i want to upgrade my Debian from 6.0.4 to 6.0.7 only from
> stable. then how i could do it?

If you only want to use Squeeze, you have to set your sources.list like:
deb http://http.debian.net/debian squeeze main
deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian squeeze main

deb http://http.debian.net/debian squeeze-updates main
deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian squeeze-updates main

deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main

> actually i am confused a bit, lets say if i run "apt-get upgrade" and
> i have all the level of repositories, will it be upgrading from all
> the repo? what i want is to upgrade the OS only from stable however in
> future if i want to use any upgrade package then i could also use
> testing and unstable repositories with out
> changing /etc/apt/sourcelists and running the command "apt-get update"
> all the time.

If you want to use some new packages but still in stable version, you
should use backports. To do that, add the following line to your
sources.list:

deb http://YOURMIRROR.debian.org/debian-backports
squeeze-backports(-sloppy) main
deb-src http://YOURMIRROR.debian.org/debian-backports
squeeze-backports(-sloppy) main

Then, install your new packages:
apt-get -t squeeze-backports install "package"

There is not every package you like in the backports.

For more information, please read this:
http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/
and
https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList