Re: apt-get problem installing qemu-kvm

Roberto Cantalapiedra wrote:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package qemu-kvm is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source

This is usually do to not having run apt-get update and having an out
of date package list.   But...

> I tried: apt-get update or apt-get clean without any luck.

I see that you tried update already.

> This is my source.list file:
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy-updates main contrib
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib
> deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy-updates main contrib
>
> Any clue about this problem?

Do you have any other files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/* that would be
causing trouble?

Check to see if you are using a proxy.  It is possible that your apt
proxy is causing trouble.

  find /etc/apt/apt.conf* -type f -exec grep -i proxy {} +

In any case try apt-cache policy qemu-kvm to see what it shows.  Here
is what I see on my Wheezy 7 system.

  root@joseki:~# apt-cache policy qemu-kvm
  qemu-kvm:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: 1.1.2+dfsg-6
    Version table:
       1.1.2+dfsg-6 0
          500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main i386 Packages

It should be available.  Check everything over again.  Make double and
tripple sure that you have no errors running apt-get update.

Now some other unrelated comments...

> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib

This should be okay.  The http.us.debian.org is the same as
ftp.us.debian.org and there should not be any difference.  But if all
else fails then I would

Lastly and unrelated I see that you have the "contrib" section but not
the "non-free" section.  That is a valid combination but unusual.  This
won't be related to your problem since qemu-kvm is in "main".  But
usually contrib and non-free go together since both are for non-free
things.  Usually contrib is for free things that load non-free things.
It is a two-step process for most things in contrib.  Like the Adobe
Flash installer and so forth.  Usually you would either have simply
"main" or you would have all three "main contrib non-free".  Also you
are missing the deb-src entry for the main archive.

You have the deb-src entries for the volatile wheezy-updates and
security wheezy/updates but are missing the one from main.  No big
deal if you never download source but I thought it less than tidy.

Bob