Re: dealing with bad file permissions.

atar wrote:
> I have in my machine a directory that has the value of '000' as its
> permissions and even when I switch to the root account (using the
> 'su' command), I'm not able to 'chown' it nor to 'chmod' it  nor to
> delete it. so my question is simply how can I deal with such a
> directory or file? (I have no idea how were these permissions
> changed to '000').

This reads like file system corruption.  Check your syslog for any I/O
errors.  If you have I/O errors then fix your hardware first.

Second make sure that it isn't an extended attribute.  Use lsattr to
verify that the file isn't 'i'mutable.

  man lsattr

If the file is immutable then that is the problem.  Fix that with the
chattr command.

Third it is possible you have file system corruption.  If it is not a
hardware problem and not immutable then it is probably a corrupted
file system for some reason.  That is likely due to a physical
problem.  I suggest that you fsck your file systems.  If it isn't a
hardware problem then I suggest using the debian-installer in rescue
mode to boot from and to fsck your system while the file systems are
offline.  If you have hardware problems then attempting to fsck might
make things worse.

As a zero item I should have started with verifying that you have a
fulll system backup before doing anything else.  Just in case.

Bob