Re: startx + ~/.xsession and no ~/.xinitrc, results in reduced functionality (xfce4, sid)

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 06:29:52 +1300 Chris Bannister sent:

> I do remember this issue in the past, a google was not very helpful -
> and may even have been misleading - e.g. suggesting that .xsessionrc
> was the correct file to use. And since .xsession or .xinitrc didn't
> work I must have assumed it was correct.

That would have been the reason why I also changed to ~/.xsessionrc.
Because I was using FVWM at the time and recall that it was documented
somewhere to get X working was to change the file name.

On another note, same topic. In Xfce4 which I'm now using, something
strange happened.

To get my printer working, I changed a few things and then logged out
on the application menu drop down list "Log Out" Then logged back in as
user.

All the things that my ~/.xsession file loaded, came up
again as I would expect.

However, they came up twice. Two of everything?

I thought it was a glitch. Stopped the computer, did a hard reboot and
it did the same, everything came up twice. So I commented everything
out of my ~/.xsession file except: exec startxfce4

So my system starts as it always did, loading all the applications as
it did when they were so directed in the ~/.xsession file. Nicer in
fact, as it places kalarm in the panel rather than on the desktop from
whence I placed it into the panel. But they were all commented out??

So, it seems using the Xfce4 logout, wrote a file that gets loaded
automagically which returns everything to as it was when X is started
again? But what file?

There is no duplicate ~/.xsession file so there must be a file
elsewhere in the system that Log Out wrote or edited before exiting?

It works well as long as I comment out everything I want loaded at
startup in my ~/.xsession file. But is it a feature or a bug if I
don't know where the file that does is all this is located?

I have been looking through this thread to try to find which file might
be changed but had no luck yet.

Charlie

    --
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	Christmas is not a date. It is a state of mind. - Mary Ellen
	Chase