coloured prompt for root (was ... Re: Reporting missing package during install)

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 11:11:34PM +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 December 2013 06:39:17 Tom H wrote:
> > You can't trust yourself with sudo but you can trust yourself with
> > su or login root access...
>
> I have to make a conscious effort to become root.  This reduces the
> risk that I will accidentally do something extra foolish.  I do not
> have root login access and do not want it. The Debian default in this
> is very sensible.  (As it usually is.)

I put this in my .bashrc:
PS1='${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\[\033[01;31m\]\u@\h\[\033[00m\]:\[\033[01;34m\]\w\[\033[00m\]\$
'
(All one line!)

This makes the prompt display in red, giving extra warning. :)

This is in a tty, so don't know what will happen in an xterm or other
virtual terminal.

Just comment out the old line, in case you want to go back to the way it
was.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X