Re: installation of debian

On Mon, 2013-12-09 at 21:49 +0100, HNP-Informatica wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to install Debian LXDE  7.2 amd64  Desktop  on a Toshiba
> Ultrabook Satellite Z30-A with a life DVD.
> But had difficulties. The Networkcard LAN was not detected. The same
> with the WiFi and Bluetooth
>
> The Ethernetcard is an Intel Ethernet connection 1218-V.

This Ethernet card is a new product of Intel, it is actually called
l218-V or L218-V. It needs e1000e, IIRC, which is not included in
Linux-3.2.0 kernel.

> The Wifi is an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

You need the backport package of firmware-iwlwifi.

My suggestion and solution:

Step1:
go to Intel website to download the latest driver by using other
computer or your smartphone USB network tethering. I think the address
is: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=15817

Step2:
$ tar xzvf e1000e-2.5.4.tar.gz
$ cd xzvf e1000e-2.5.4
$ make
# make install
# modprobe e1000e

In this step, if you cannot compile, download and intall a dvd version
of Debian, and do a full installation, so you can get the software --
make, gcc, and so on.

Step3:
Assume the step2 is good, and you have your Internet now.
edit /etc/apt/sources.list
It would look like:
deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
deb http://http.debian.org/debian wheezy-backports main contrib non-free

Step4:
# apt-get update && apt-get install firmware-iwlwifi
# modprobe -r iwlwifi ; modprobe iwlwifi

Hope you can solve this problem, and good luck to you.

Sincerely,
Bo