Re: isc-dhcp-server not receiving DHCPDISCOVER

Russell L. Carter wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Russell L. Carter wrote:
> >> Ok, I need to do some experimenting here.  I've broken out a long patch
> >> cable to bypass the switch
> >
> > I would really be surprised if the switch has broken down.  Not impossible
> > of course.  But what are the odds?  I think it very unlikely.  If I were to
> to look at this again.  I reconfigured my net to get the DHCP
> conversation on the least used net, patched the laptop directly to the
> server, and on the server ran
> And it worked!

Wow!  It *was* the switch.  I put that in the list because it was
possible in the divide and conquer debugging but truly I expected it
to be something else.

> So then the problem was to figure what was awry with the switch, a
> D-Link DGS-1224T.  I thought I had sometime in the distant past
> lobotomized it but it turns out no, I didn't get it done completely.
> In particular, IGMP snooping was enabled.  I downloaded the switch's
> manual (thanks D-Link!) and here is what it said:
>
>  "With Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) snooping, the
>   Web-Smart Switch can make intelligent multicast forwarding decisions
>   by examining the contents of each frame’s Layer 2 MAC header.  IGMP
>   snooping can help reduce cluttered traffic on the LAN. With IGMP
>   snooping enabled globally, the Web-Smart Switch will forward
>   multicast traffic only to connections that have group members
>   attached."
>
> But there were no "group members" defined.  Oops.  Disabled, applied,
> power off/on, voilà.

Ah...  So not broken but simply not configured appropriately.  Good
deal!  And good job at working that through to root cause.  Always
nice when problems are found and fixed. :-)

Bob