Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On 12/06/2013 04:13 PM, André Nunes Batista wrote:
On Tue, 2013-11-26 at 16:58 -0500, Doug wrote:
On 11/26/2013 03:22 PM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
On 11/27/13, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sunday 24 November 2013 19:20:47 Doug wrote:
On 11/24/2013 12:34 PM, AP wrote:
[snip]
(i) Which Distribution:
[snip]
(ii) DEB vs RPM
[snip]
The other differentiator is the package manager. I have a very
strong opinion here: the package manager MUST display the available
programs that you can choose from.
That statement is a very contentious one, and one with which I
disagree.  I have not infrequently been using Synaptic on a computer
I administer, torn my hair out and switched to Aptitude to solve a
problem.

If it doesn't, you will have to
have a list from somewhere. The idea of using "apt-get-install
filename" is just beyond my belief.
Beyond your belief?  So you do not believe that there are many of us
who _like_ the command line?  You may not like it, but many do.
Doug, are you thinking "apt-get install packagename"
or "dpkg install filename"?

The latter is rarely used (even by 'power' users) these days, and the
former is not what you wrote - perhaps this clarifies something useful
for someone.

Enjoy
Zenaan

Maybe I have it wrong--I refer to having to install knowing a priori the
name of the package you want to install. And I have _never_ had a
problem with Synaptic. Using it for at least 4 years now.
I'm not afraid of the command line, I use it frequently.

-doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley

errr WTF?! How are you supposed to install something which you don't
know?

/snip/

Yes, that's the whole point! Some file manager systems do _not_
provide file names.

--doug