Re: Goodbye GNOME, Hello XFCE

On 12/6/13, Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Dec 5, 2013, at 4:37 PM, Patrick Bartek <bartek047@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> You could do what I did with my install of Wheezy 64-bit (Replacing
>> Fedora 12): Abandon the desktop "environment" entirely, and just use a
>> full-featured window manager and a few utilities.  I found Openbox with
>> LXPanel works just fine.  Lower overhead, too.  Just do a Base net
>> install, and add one thing at a time.
>
> An interesting option Patrick; thanks for suggesting it.

> I'd also be
> interested in discussing (perhaps off-list) what sorts of things I might add
> to or subtract from it for my own use, if you are amenable.
>
> Maybe there's a wiki page on the topic?  If not, maybe we could start one?

Or debian-ot@... :)

I would definitely join this discussion, on -ot.
I suggest though, that you start it slow - one application (or
configuration) category at a time, eg
"Window managers for lightweight custom debian install?"
followed by "Panel/Launcher/Dock options?"
and perhaps "Custom debian desktop as close to Microsoft Windows 2000
as possible?" :)
etc

IE, if you start an "everything" thread, pretty soon it won't be very
useful for homing in at future time points on specific topics.

wikipedia.org often contains comparison tables of various types of
software, such as window manager, etc.

Sounds good to me,

Zenaan