Re: Goodbye GNOME, Hello XFCE

On Dec 5, 2013, at 4:37 PM, Patrick Bartek <bartek047@yahoo.com> wrote:

> You could do what I did with my install of Wheezy 64-bit (Replacing
> Fedora 12): Abandon the desktop "environment" entirely, and just use a
> full-featured window manager and a few utilities.  I found Openbox with
> LXPanel works just fine.  Lower overhead, too.  Just do a Base net
> install, and add one thing at a time.

An interesting option Patrick; thanks for suggesting it.

Can you give us the exact list of packages we should install in order to get the environment you like?  I'd be interested in trying it out.   I'd also be interested in discussing (perhaps off-list) what sorts of things I might add to or subtract from it for my own use, if you are amenable.

Maybe there's a wiki page on the topic?  If not, maybe we could start one?

Enjoy!

Rick