Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 09:38:51AM -0600, yaro@marupa.net wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 03, 2013 12:12:36 AM Robert Holtzman wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 11:51:41AM -0600, yaro@marupa.net wrote:
> >
> >           .........snip.........
> >
> > > Oh, that does clear it up. But again, I don't see that as a "free vs.
> > > nonfree" issue. Most software will choose defaults for you and you can
> > > change it, even Mozilla. I'm a KDE user, often a lot of KDE defaults I
> > > don't like or don't make sense, Kopete being perhaps the worst offender.
> > >
> > > I often don't care for software that requires user-side configuration to
> > > already be in place when run. By user-side I mean dotfiles in home
> > > directory. I do not really mind if I have to set something up in /etc,
> > > however, largely because I will most often be changing the defaults.
> >
> > What's the difference between "setting something up" in /etc and editing
> > a dot file in your home directory?
>
> This shouldn't have to be explained to most Linux administrators.

While I'm not a professional sysadmin, I'm well aware of your
explanation below.

> /etc is for system-wide configuration of software, meant to be handled by the
> administrator and if there's no "default" there's good reason for it.

          .......snip......

> This might be fine for a power user (Of which I am one.) but I wouldn't put
> anything that requires manually editing text files for preferences on someone
> else's computer and expect them to use it.

Your post that I replied to indicated that *you* didn't care for s/w
that required user side configuration to be in place when run. I didn't
see any discussion about what sort of user you had in mind and nothing
about setting up a box for someone else. It implied that you didn't care
for it for *your* use.

          ........snip......

> Google is hardly the only service that does this. Chances are the second you
> set up with your ISP someone's already gotten ahold of your personal data.

> There's no real guarantee of anonymity on the Internet even if you use things
> such as Tor. I feel fussing and going out of your way to try to get the non-
> existant 100% anonymity thing is a waste of productive time.

True but that doesn't mean you should surrender to each and every one.
You sound like Larry Ellison.

--
Bob Holtzman
Your mail is being read by tight lipped