Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On Tue, 2013-12-03 at 21:16 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-12-03 at 19:45 +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Dec 2013 12:24:50 -0700
> > Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Robert,
> >
> > >Wrong. Evil web sites don't care how you access them, clicking or
> > >typing.
> >
> > That's true of course.  I think AP's point (expressed poorly perhaps) is
> > that a phishing email will likely contain a link to a web site that
> > impersonates a legitimate one.  For example;
> >
> > <A href="dodgy/phishing/web/site">Text to lure you</A>
> >
> > If you type the name of a legitimate site, rather than rely on the link
> > in an email, you're less likely to end up visiting a dodgy site.  In
> > fact, I get emails from the banks I have dealings with that suggest you
> > type in their url rather than rely on links to avoid any mishaps,
> > because they (the banks) know that phishing attempts are often made
> > using clones of their login pages on dodgy sites.
>
> If we move the mouse cursor over the "Text to lure you", we usually see
> the "dodgy/phishing/web/site" somewhere displayed by our MUAs.
>
> I usually receive "My house bank links" that in reality are "Some
> obscure never ever-land links".
>
> Very nice are "police" links. E.g. "We detected child porn on your
> computer. Just pay 50,-€ and it's ok." The German "police" not only
> allows you to have child porn on your computer, if you pay 50,-€ ;),
> they also write in broken German ;). I wonder about the target group of
> such phishing mails.

I guess much more exemplary than "child porn detection" is "virus
detection".

"We detect a virus on you Windows install", on a Linux only machine ;).

There must be some hidden Windows installs with tons of child porn
routekits inside my HDD's MBRs ;).